Lao Oversea can apply for permanent residency in Laos

People of Lao origin living abroad, as well as foreign nationals, can
apply for permanent residency in Laos once a new decree is approved by
the government.
Ministry of Foreign Affairs' Lao Overseas Affairs Department Director
General, Mr Ly Bounkham, told Vientiane Times this week the new decree
could be approved in the very near future.
A government meeting held in Vientiane recently approved the decree in
principle but advised the relevant sectors to refine and clarify it.
Mr Ly said the new draft decree will cover two groups of people -
people of Lao origin living abroad and foreign nationals, including
stateless people.
“The aim of the decree is to encourage people of Lao origin living
abroad to return to their homeland and contribute to national
development in their birthplace.”
“The new decree also aims to respond to the demands of people of Lao
origin living abroad who want to return home and spent the rest of
their lives in Laos.”
Everyone living in Laos must respect the laws and constitution of the
country and its traditional culture and social order, as well as pay
taxes to the government based on the relevant laws and contribute to
maintaining security.
Mr Ly said people granted permanent residency will no longer need a
visa to visit Laos.
They will also have the right to buy goods such as cars, but not the
right to buy land as a decree on the matter is still being drafted.
One important requirement for permanent residency is the presence of a
relative in Laos willing to act as a guarantor for the applicant, who
must also be in good health and have no criminal record.
If the decree is approved, people of Lao origin living abroad can
submit an application for permanent residency at the Lao Embassy or
Consul General Office in the country where they live. The application
will then be sent to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the relevant
authorities for consideration within 3 months.
“Many people have expressed an interest in living in Laos permanently.
Many people have asked when the decree on permanent residency will be
approved,” Mr Ly said.
“They want to live in Laos after seeing the positive changes in the
nation's development. They want to live in Laos because they have
relatives here.”
More than 700,000 people of Lao origin live in other countries,
including the US, Canada, France and Australia. Many of them left
after 1975 .
The draft decree also stipulates seven conditions for foreign
nationals or stateless people seeking permanent residency in Laos.
They must have lived in Laos for 10 continuous years and must commit
to living in Laos for at least 10 months each year. Specialists and
scientists can also apply for permanent residency.
People who have operated a stable business in Laos for at least five
years with an investment value of at least US$500,000 can also apply
for permanent residency. A person who does a good deed to aid the
nation's development can also apply for permanent residency.
Vientianetimes
I think these people are F crazy!!!!! The people in laos want to GTFO of there for a better life and future. Then u got these dumb nuts seeing cheap beer and food, then wanting to be permenant resident laos.
Seriously, I know a guy right now in laos who cannot get back in the USA cause hey overstayed his Passport. He thought he could live cheap and live good in laos. Well he mess up bad.
For those who are rich like doctors,laywers,U.S scammers works in the immirgration office, or even retireee. Yes, only when u have money, u can live like a king in laos with a stable income.
this is great news, i will look into this cant wait to contribute my skills to help develop our beloved nation. = ) lao su su
Lao people in US (I live in US so I'll refer to US, no offense) have misconception of Laos. Laos is not like it's used to be when everything was cheap. In my perspective, to have the same quality of living in Laos costs A LOT more than US.
If you are nobody in US and thinking you can be someone in Laos, well, wrong, you are still nobody! it is not where you are it is who you are, it's YOUR attitude. Whenever I heard Lao people in US talk about how they can live like king in Laos when they retired ... it really depends on how much of your retirement, most of Lao people in US are labor worker who living paycheck to paycheck.
With minimum wage, retirement probably not that much let's say $1500 per month, $1500 per month would not make you live like a king in Laos, it will make you live better than many people if you live in the rural area but not KING!.
Have you heard about Globalization? it refers to the increasing unification of the world's economic order through reduction of such barriers to international trade as tariffs, export fees, and import quotas. The goal is to increase material wealth, goods, and services through an international division of labor by efficiencies catalyzed by international relations, specialization and competition, simply mean (to make it easier to understand) cost of living in poor countries will increase, standard of living will increase. Cost of living in developed countries will decrease.
And another thing i often heard is that to bring knowledge to help Laos, really? ask yourself what knowledge you have. New generation of Lao people in Laos have been educated around the world such as AUS, Japan, New Zealand, US and so on, master degree is quite common. And what kind of knowledge could you bring to the table to "help" Laos?
Lawyer, medical doctor, professor? to be honest I have not seen the Lao lawyer, Lao doctor or lao professor since I've been in US. I've always seen however claimed to be Lawyer, claimed to be Dr. Be able to fill official application does not make you a lawyer ...
New (lao) generation, who are born in US, either quite high school b/c of get involved with drug or knock up (get pregnant) when they were 16. Without sufficient education, those kids are get into labor work force, uneducated parents produce uneducated kids and the cycle goes on and on. Sorry, the idea of having "our knowledge to help develop" Laos I just do not see that happens. I do not think Lao people in Laos need help to develop the country as far as the knowledge you can offer.
Bottom line is if you are nobody in US, you are probably nobody in Laos too.
Anonymous1 - Some people want to get out, some people want to get in. I like to think of "don't know what you got, til it's gone." I for one, would love to move back to Laos and am planning on doing so in 2-3 years, whether or not this decree gets approved. I have my personal reasons why I want to move back.
Anonymous3 - You made many good points and I totally agree that many Lao in the US have the misconception about living in Laos like kings. Every time I visit Laos, I feel I'm more poor than the poor people living there. Most of my relatives are more wealthy. They all own new cars, which they paid cash for. I am living paycheck to paycheck and am still making car payments. So I consider myself poor.
My main reason for wanting to move back to Laos is because of my desire to retain as much Lao culture as I can. I just started a family and want to move my family back so that I can raise my kids to be khone Lao, to understand and retain the Lao culture. I do not want to raise my kids to be khone Lao-American. Many people including my own brothers and sisters think I'm crazy and stupid for wanting to move back to Laos.
Bottom line is, everyone has a dream and sometimes, we won't feel like we've lived our life to the fullest, until we persue the dream or at least attempt to pursue that dream. I was born in Laos, raised in the US. I feel it is time for me to go back to my roots.
I agree with you that there are many true Lao people in Laos who are very educated and are helping in the rebuilding of the country. I know a few of the educated people in Laos. If many of the Lao people living in the US know how many Lao people who have master and doctorate degrees, they may feel a bit embarrassed because those are the ones who are truly trying to help rebuild the country.
I don't think I will be able to contribute much to help rebuild our country, but I would love to be a part of the rebuilding process. Like I said, it's just a personal desire. :)
Can't wait....2013 is just around the corner....not sure what I'll be doing in Laos, but I think I will be a poor, but very happy khone Lao, living in Laos. I think that's a bit better than working my 8ss off just to give uncle Sam 35% of my hard earn money. :)
I still think you both are F CRAZY. Make your money in the U.S and give your kids the birth rights of the U.S citizen. You guys realized, all the money that is sent back to laos, you are helping them rebuilding and buying and using currency.
You see all those small home shop on ever corner. That how money is spread out. Don't need to go back and suffer. There others ways like visiting and blowing off 10,000 for 1 month. LOL, why i don't even wanna go back, IM BROKE.
Yes, many people still think I'm fkn crazy for wanting to go back to the homeland. I guess I'm one of those who feels, "there's no place like home." I am a US Citizen, but still feel like this isn't my homeland. I was born in Laos, and I just feel like that is where I belong.
Yes, I see all those home shops in almost 80% of the homes in Laos. Those home shops make money to support the family. I know because my wife's family has those shops. They just hang chips and candy in front of their houses. Some how they are able to afford to raise the family, building a villa home and buy a car.
That's good that you do not want to go back. Please stay where you are because I don't want too many people to go back...hehehehe there will be too much competition if everyone moved back. :) Although, I can see a good number of people wanting to go back.
Around the world a lot of migrants have gone back to their birth place to live the rest of lives. This is only natural. It is also good for the local economies as mostly these people are retirees and have loads of pensions.
The reason I want to go back to live in Laos is because I want to see uncle Kayson statue and uncle Souphanouvong statue every day. They both are my heroes.
Majority of those old farts would want to go back and live in Laos because they were brought up there.
Proud lao-chinese :)
Proud lao-chinese :)
This comment has been removed by the author.
I'm so sorry you feel that way Do not forget with out these old farts, you won't be here today!